Is Chlorella Bad for You?
The answer here is more of a yes and no. Good quality Chlorella is good for you and bad quality Chlorella is bad for you. It all depends on how it is produced and what additives the manufacturer includes when making chlorella tablets.
Where is the Best Place to Buy Chlorella? Know your source! Here are some tips so you get good quality chlorella:
- It shouldn't be too inexpensive. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. High quality broken cell Chlorella has a higher cost involved in production because of the technology involved and the steps taken to ensure it is grown safely. If it is cheap chlorella, then there is a reason. Maybe it comes from some polluted lake in the middle of China somewhere. Who knows?
- Most places on the planet are polluted to some degree these days, so it should be manufactured in a clean, unpolluted environment, not harvested from natural waterways.. And in a controlled environment, with strict adherence to SOP (Standard Operating Procedures), and high quality standards.
- It must be broken or cracked cell chlorella in order for your body to absorb the nutrients. If they don't say it is, then it is not. There are different ways of cracking the cell wall. We use a patented flash-expansion system which enhances absorption rate while retaining nutrients.
- It doesn't need to be certified organic if it is grown in a clean, high quality environment. The manufacturer should be certified in ISO and if you can find one that is HACCP (which is a specific food safety certification), that is a bonus. Our producer has all of these credentials.
- Each batch of chlorella should be tested, and they should make available to you the current COA (Certificate of Analysis) from the current batch you will be purchasing, not one from 5 years ago.
- There should be absolutely no additives, binders or fillers in the product. It must be 100% pure. If it has any additives then it is an inferior product. No additives are needed when making chlorella tablets, but some producers often do add fillers or binders such as magnesium stearate.
- Having the growth cycle take place, outdoors in the sun, is also beneficial. Some manufacturers may start it outside, but then bring it in for the rest of the growing process in dark indoor tanks.
- Another consideration is how the manufacturer creates their tablets. Some use all kinds of fillers and binders to make the tablets, such as Magnesium Stearate. This should be shown on the label, but more times than not, it isn't. High quality producers can compress chlorella into tablets just using 100% pure powder.
Reputable companies that make a superior quality chlorella go to great lengths to maintain the purity and usability of their products. This kind of care cannot be purchased cheaply.
How Much Chlorella Should You Take?
There is no exact amount of Chlorella you should eat. You need to find a quantity that suits you and your body, as everybody's body is different.
Just remember, though, that Chlorella is not a drug, medicine or vitamin supplement. It is a wholefood that is packed with amazing nutrients that the body needs for healthy growth.
If you get a high quality Chlorella, then it is quite safe to have reasonably large quantities without any adverse effects. Some people take 40-50 grams per day, especially in Asia.
Our suggestion is to start small so your body can get used to the high levels of nutrients. It's just like if you drink raw spinach or wheatgrass juice when you are not used to it. It can make you feel a little nauseous.
Here is a good guideline:
Start with five 250 mg tablets a day for the first week. That's a little over 1 gram. Next week, go up to ten tablets a day. That would be around 2.5 grams. During the following weeks, work your way up to 20 tablets per day. That's 5 grams if you use 250mg tablets. If you feel any uncomfortable reactions then just cut it back for a longer period to give your body time to adjust. It may seem like a lot of chlorella tablets, but they are small and easy to swallow. Remember, it is just food. Highly nutritious food.
There may be a few people out there whose body might react differently than most. So if there is any discomfort at all, start with fewer tablets and work your way up. You could also try another brand, or decide it just isn't for you.
If you want a high quality chlorella that is 100% pure broken cell and that doesn't use any additives whatsoever, then check us out. Our products are guaranteed to be free of any impurities, and are grown with very high quality control standards.